Friday, December 9, 2011

Thank you Colleagues

We reached out to the physicians who refer children to my clinic and they reached back to help out. On Wednesday, Michele Holtsbaum, my office manager, drove around on a snowy day to collect donated medical supplies for the trip to Nicaragua. Thank you Michele.


The donated medications will augment the pharmacy in the clinic in Nicaragua and are very welcome and needed. I will use some of the medications personally during my visit.
A big thank you to the colleagues who donated supplies. 

Dr. Patricia Bryden
Dr. Michael Guiffre
Dr. Sandra Foss
Sunnyhill Pediatrics

With these donations, I will be able to offer every family some acetaminophen drops or tablets to have on hand for future fevers or discomfort. I doubt there are many family homes in Canada that do not have acetaminophen or ibuprofen on hand. This certainly isn't the case in Nicaragua, and in the region where the clinic is located, there is no such thing as a pharmacy. The nearest pharmacy, gas station, and grocery is in Rivas, which is about an hour away on a very bumpy, rutted, dusty, dirt road, with more cattle, chickens, pigs and horse-drawn wagons than cars. I imagine the mothers have a network in their community and they might be able to find someone who has fever drops or tablets available, and perhaps even with a current expiry date. I've prepared a Spanish teaching handout on fever and I will offer this and a modest supply of acetaminophen to every mother who I see.  




No comments:

Post a Comment