Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Evil Eye - Mal de Ojo

During the first week I assessed at least one infant a day and almost every one had on a bracelet with several beads. Some had a bracelet on each hand. The beads in the photo above were the most common, but other beads were used as well. 

After I noticed this trend I inquired if the beads had any significance. I was advised that the beads are a talisman to ward off Mal de Ojo, the Evil Eye.

The concept of the Evil Eye is common to many cultures. When I worked in the Middle East there were mothers who spoke of this.

The person who casts the Evil Eye is considered to have powers to injure another person merely by looking at that person. An envious look at a good looking baby is enough to qualify, and according to folk lore, the look is enough to cause illness. The talisman is protection against this possibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment